Friday, July 31, 2009

Book Quotes: Ayman Zawahiri and Suicide Bombers

From My Hope for Peace by Jehan Sadat (page 11):

[Ayman] Zawahiri, however, resurfaced in Egypt long before September 11. In the 1990s, he was involved in a series of terrible attacks within my country, employing a grisly weapon that had, until then, been unheard of by even the most extreme Sunni Muslim group: the suicide bomber. Suicide, like murder, is strictly forbidden in Islam, but again, the zealots had perverted the Qur'an to justify their actions. On the eighteenth anniversary of my husband's historic trip to Jerusalem, a trip that was the bold first step to establish peace between Israel and Egypt, Zawahiri used suicide bombers to destroy the Egyptian embassy in Islamabad. Sixteen innocent people were killed, and many, many more were injured. Suicide bombers would become a hallmark of al-Jihad and later, as the world now knows, al Qaeda.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty decent post. I just stumbled upon your site and wanted to say that I have in reality enjoyed reading your web site posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.