Friday, September 18, 2009

Book Quote: Meek is not Weak

From The Road to Unafraid by Captain Jeff Struecker with Dean Merrill (pp. 77-78):

Both of us knew that in the army culture, a lot of people look down on a soldier who's a Christian, thinking he's automatically weaker than the rest. He is assumed to be too compassionate and distracted with moral restrictions to be tough, that the enemy on the battlefield can exploit his weakness more easily.

I don't buy that point of view for an instant. As far as I'm concerned, the soldier with a moral foundation is stronger than the one without....You have more stamina to endure difficulties and persecution.

I made it my goal to be the toughest, most competent soldier around--as a Christian. I would not be weak, but rather meek. The two words sound similar, but they're not. Meekness means having tremendous strength but intentionally placing it under the control of something else. I would develop my strength and place it under the control of Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Sheila (bookjourney) said...

This is a fantastic post and I am looking up this book right now. Thanks Debbie!

Debbie said...

Sheila,

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I'm glad you liked the book quote. It's a good book, too. Enjoy. :)